08 Mac 2007

Married For More Than 10 Years …

How time flies! I have been married to my beautiful wife for more than 10 years - with its many ups and downs. Let me take this opportunity to ponder on a few things.

First: What did I get my wife for our 10 year anniversary? Well, nothing much really! Took her on a holiday using free tickets, courtesy of
Malaysia Airlines Enrich points. Can’t afford anything nice (I have in mind a one carat diamond ring – wishful thinking!) as everything seems to be very, very, very expensive nowadays. Coupled with paying monthly for:
  • a housing loan,
  • petrol for the two cars (and you know the price of petrol nowadays),
  • school/transportation/tuition fees for the boys (I have four boys – two in primary school and one in kindergarten),
  • utilities – water, electricity, phone bills, Streamyx, Astro, Indah Water, etc.,
  • a maid (to take care of the four boys), and
  • a paltry sum for our parents (although, I must admit that we tend to miss every now and then);
there isn’t much left for savings. Everything else will have to come under ‘credit’!

Second: Both of us are still working to make ends meet. It would be nice if my wife can quit and concentrate on the family. 'What the heck' we told ourselves recently. My wife has tendered her resignation and her last day of employment is end of March 2007. We’re not too sure whether we can get by with just my salary but we will definitely find ways!

Third: Our beloved country – Malaysia. Can’t help but to think about leaving this country with its many shortcomings – quality of education, political situation with existing bolehland leaders and cost of living, just to name a few. Just compare buying a car in this country (we have two cars – paid a bomb for them over the last five years) to any other country in the world. The price for an entry level car (e.g. a Proton Wira) is equivalent to two years salary of a fresh graduate in Malaysia! Should I talk about quality, etc.?

Fourth: Accountability. Our bolehland leaders always make promises but do they actually keep their words. I will just leave it at that…

How I wish that I could have provided more for my lovely wife and four boys over the last 10 years! Not to mention, my parents, my in-laws and all Malaysians - hopefully in my own small way!
Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings!

Tiada ulasan: